Hashima Island
Aerial view of Hashima Island
Hashima Island, known as Gunkanjima to locals and nicknamed 'Battleship Island', is one of 505 uninhabited islands in the Nagasaki Prefecture. The Island lies 9 miles away from Nagasaki, Japan.
The abandoned, walled off island was opened as a coal mining facility in 1887, due to its huge undersea coal repository.
During the 1930's Korean prisoners of war were used as forced labour on the island in particularly brutal conditions.
The island was owned by Mitsubishi for most of its lifespan and at its peak 5,259 workers lived in its cramped concrete towers.
Since 1974 the island has lay dorment as coal has been replaced by petroleum and the mines were no longer needed.
Tours to the island can be found at: